Some people are terrified of the dentist, but sedation dentistry and sleep dentistry allow these patients to no longer have to forgo professional dental care. Renken Dentistry offers sedation for dental work that allows patients to receive the vital care they need while remaining comfortable. We provide level 1, nitrous and oral sedation, commonly referred to as laughing gas. We also provide sleep dentistry sedation options. There are many benefits to both types.
Benefits of Sedation Dentistry
How does sedation dentistry affect patients? Laughing gas is administered by a sedation dentist by fitting a mask over the patient’s nose. Oxygen and nitrous gas will be given to the patient throughout the course of treatment, with the dentist continuously checking in to ensure the patient is comfortable. Benefits include:
- Simple and fast to administer
- Quickly takes effect and quickly wears off
- Patients are fully conscious, yet comfortable, during the procedure
- Patients can drive themselves home afterwards
Dentists have used nitrous oxide as sedation for dental work for years. It has proven safe for all ages and offers patients that are scared of the dentist a way to receive critical dental care while remaining comfortable. Our staff will do everything possible to ensure you are at ease before, during, and after your treatment. This can be used for a variety of treatments, including cleanings, cavity fillings, gum disease treatment, root canals, and more. Once the treatment is complete, the dentist will remove the mask. The effects of the laughing gas will quickly wear off, without leaving you groggy. You’ll get to go home and enjoy the benefits of good oral care.
What is Sleep Dentistry?
Sleep dentistry is a more intense form of sedation for patients who really need it. We use two types:
- Oral Conscious Sedation – Administered in pill form. About an hour before your procedure, you’re asked to take the pill, and by the time of your treatment, you’ll be feeling more relaxed, sleepy, and less aware of the things going on around you. With this sedation option, it is best to organize a friend or family member to pick you up and take you home.
- IV Sedation – As the most intense of the sedation options, it is administered through your veins and keeps sleeping during its use. Again, you’ll need to plan ahead with friends of family for transportation, because this type of sedation takes longer to wear off.
We want all our patients to have a happy and healthy smile! That’s why we offer sedation dentistry and sleep dentistry – to bring quality dental care to everyone, even those who have extreme anxiety or are scared of the dentist.