We often hear about how proper dental care is an essential part of achieving and maintaining optimal oral health. And although brushing and flossing daily is a must, did you know that dental sealants are also a great preventive dental treatment option that can save you from costly and painful decay?
About Dental Sealants
Dental sealants are a thin coating which can be applied to the chewing surfaces of teeth. Once applied, the tooth sealant quickly bonds to problem areas on the chewing surfaces of teeth such as pits, grooves and depressions and forms a protective layer over the tooth enamel.
These depressions, pits, and grooves typically found on teeth are a great location for bacteria, plaque, and tartar to thrive, eventually resulting in decay and cavities. When dental sealants are present, debris, bacteria, and plaque cannot get stuck in these areas, allowing teeth to be cleaned much easier and more thoroughly.
How Are Sealants Applied?
At our Crystal Falls dental office, our dental sealant treatment is a simple, quick and comfortable process which only takes a few minutes. The dental sealant application includes the following:
- Any teeth that will be receiving the dental sealant will be thoroughly cleaned.
- Each tooth will then also be dried and kept dry using an absorbent material.
- An acidic solution will be applied to the chewing surfaces of teeth, making them rougher and allowing the sealant to bond to teeth easier.
- Teeth will then be thoroughly rinsed and properly dried.
- The dental sealant will then be directly applied to the teeth where it can bond and harden.
When cared for properly, dental sealants can protect teeth for up to 10 years. However, during your routine oral examinations and dental cleanings, our dentists can check them for any wear-and-tear. If necessary, tooth sealants can be easily replaced.